Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wednesday April 25, 2007

Today is Caroline's birthday. Happy Birthday!

Today, I spent the day at the orphanage. When I arrived 11 cars and 2 vans were in the parking area. This is unusual. I walked into the entrance, and Larissa walked out. She looked stunning. Something big was going to happen today. She immediately told two teenagers to find Matt and Maria Oksana, and go outside. I needed to make myself unseen. That is OK. I would rather be outside anyway.

I took Tom's bag of goodies. Well, the Frisbee bit the dust today. See kids play with toys so long and hard there. Toys do not last long. I had to air up the new basketball because it lost air. Also a new soccer ball had a hole. The Nerf footballs are starting to miss pieces. The toys are used after 2.5 weeks at the orphanage.

We did walk to the store for snacks. I told the kids they could have 3 things. This was tough. They wanted four. They had to make a decision. Interestingly enough, they spoke to each other about this, then ordered. After we started enjoying our snacks, they started sharing. They planned what each one would get. This was cute.

I left the orphanage at 6:15pm before Julie and Molly returned Alyona and Sasha. Larissa wanted all children to stay at the orphanage the next two days. I guess it will give them a chance to say their good byes. The kids do not seem that emotional, and I wonder if they will be.

This makes me think back to our day in court. When the judge stated that he would grant the adoption, the kids were stoic. They showed no emotion. After we left the court room Tom continued to say their names and tell them when they could come home with us. They started getting excited. I wonder if they initially believed what they heard in court. Remember, court was conducted in Ukrainian. They heard the conclusion before Tom and I did. The translator had to tell us that we were approved.

Both kids are helping me speak to other children. They are starting to understand more English. Natisha wanted to write Paula a letter. I tried to tell her that I would be back tomorrow, and she could give it to me then. She did not understand, so Maria Oksana set her straight. Matt also helped me talk to another boy about soccer.

Zap is now green. Very few trees have buds anymore. Most have their full set of leaves. It makes the place look better. Also, remember a few days ago, I told you that folks do not mow their yards. Yards are small. They do plant flowers. Many yards are just all tulips. A sea of red and yellow. I am enjoying the tulips here since I am missing them at home.

No comments: