Monday, April 23, 2007

Monday April 23, 2007

Yesterday was sunny, and we play many games in the park. They do not mow the grass in Zap, so now some grasses are higher than my ankles. It is becoming more difficult to see the holes in the park and the broken glass. Eventually, they will weed wack these grasses, but I do not know when. Parks are not considered a jewel in an urban area here.

Yesterday, while we were playing many men were enjoying the sunny day by having a beer. There are no "open container" laws in Ukraine. Men just walk around with mainly open beer bottles. Some make it into the trash containers and some do not. Remember the liter campaign of the 70's in America? They need that here.

Yesterday, we went to the park with the rocks and the mosaics. We found a local artist who paints nesting dolls, plates, and other wooden novelties. She signs each item, writes the year and Zap on them. Each child picked out an item. We purchased several items as souvenirs. She has much talent.

Eating: The children still want to eat all the time. We have breakfast down to several trips to the buffet, but they still want to eat everything in the room. At the orphanage, they only have set times to eat. If they do not finish their snack or meal, they must wait until the next offering. I think with food in site, they just want to get it NOW. I regulated their eating yesterday and continued to assure them that they would get food. We ate at the cafeteria last evening. This way I could control Matt's ordering. The 3 of us ate for $11.

I needed to renew or change my room. The weekend staff told me that everything was booked except the higher price rooms. I told this lady that I have been at this hotel for 2 weeks and know for a fact they are not sold out. She was taken back with my comment. She offered me a room almost twice my current rate. I told her that I will take care of this with the administrator on Monday or move to the Hotel Ukraine. Well, guess what? This morning I have a single room at a competitive price. Tom and I think they try to take advantage of Americans here. Every American is considered wealthy and able to pay.

Today, the children return to the orphanage for their last remaining days. They understand this. Please just pray that nothing gets in our way. The 10 days are up Friday, and then I take them out for good. Our days are numbered in Zap and this feels GREAT!

No comments: